Sunday, November 29, 2009

Hagrid's Hut

Jennifer’s mom has several beautiful villages that she puts out at Christmas. She created a Hogwarts scene but had trouble finding a Hagrid’s Hut. With my permission Jen volunteered me for the job of making one.

In the various Harry Potter movies there are different Hagrid Huts. I used this one as my muse.

Cardboard framing.

Here are the first attempts at the roofing and the walls. The fitting, trimming, and gluing of shingles took a full season of Pushing Daisies before it was completed.

I thought the roof worked well; the huge rocks on the wall did not. I was particularly pleased with the little windows up top. Per Jen’s suggestion I soaked the wood and then molded it with a paperclip to dry curved.

The second attempt at the wall went much better. Jen painted the rocks and well . . . they rocked.

The door was a lot of fun to make and I feel, really added something.

This handle took the time of one general conference talk to carve and paint.

The finished door.

Imperfect as it may be: Hagrid’s finished hut.

After flying it from Utah to Georgia, through the Muggle airports, it arrived safely to its new home at Hogwarts

Broomstick view of Hogwarts. Mission accomplished!

9 comments:

Super Angie said...

Wes, your genius knows no bounds!!!!! Steve wants you to know that you are infinitely cooler than him [when it comes to making miniature Harry Potter houses]. :)

Myrna said...

Wes & Jen are a real team. Jen has such confidence in Wes, that he can't do anything but succeed. The paint job of the rocks looks like rocks. That would have been tough out of gingerbread! How did Jen's mom like it?

Kurt and Courtney said...

For my birthday, I expect a miniature replica of Neuschwanstein Castle. I believe in you...

Anonymous said...

Wes & Jen, as always, you guys rock. To answer Myrna's question, I loved it and it makes my Harry Potter table extra special. Thanks for all the love you guys show by doing this. Kurt and Courtney, with the right picture, I have no doubts they can duplicate your Neuschwanstein Castle.
Mom

Aggieland Mom said...

That is amazing. My mouth is still hanging open.

Kelly Munns said...

you guys are awesome. never cease to amaze me. i love the roof. love the door, especially. the rocks look real...and totally rock. love the windows. it's amazing. miss you two...happy holidays for the third time away from us :)

Nancy said...

Somebody has too much time on their hands.
I like it!
Jennifer--I love you baby ticker. I stole it for my blog, too. Hope you don't mind.

Jeralynn said...

Very cool. You could make an empressive Christmas Village of your own.

Jenn said...

Wow!! You have a real talent for crafting! The hut looks AMAZING.