Friday, November 18, 2011

Time Is On My Side...Or Is It?

Maybe the Rolling Stones had it all wrong. I've been thinking a lot about time lately. When you have young children, everyone and I mean everyone (including strangers on the street) tell you how fast the time flies. How it feels like their 16 year olds were 16 months just yesterday, etc., etc. For me, right now, it doesn't necessary feel like time is flying, not at all really. It does feel like time is more definite than it used to be. Before we had kids, Wes and I might go on a vacation or go to an amazing restaurant or go kayaking and have a blast. We'd leave and say, "Wow, lets do that again sometime!" And that was completely possible, we could go and do those things again and have a pretty similar experience.

The thing with kids is that you can never really expect the same experience again. Whatever you do with them, its close to being the last time they'll do it in that way. They change so much, so quickly. It's never the same experience and you kind of mourn the loss of each phase. A year used to be nothing to me, Wes and I don't change much in a year. Scarlett changes in a month! She does more, says more, comprehends more everyday. Suddenly it feels like time marches on so strongly, so resolutely, so unforgivingly. Sometimes, I just want to say, Hey, wait a minute! I love her how she is right now! Can't I just hit a pause button and enjoy how when Wes is taking her to bed she waves good-bye so zealously to me all the way up the stairs and around the corner until she can't see me anymore or can't I rewind to when she was three months old and we'd carry her around in the Ergo and she'd sleep so peacefully and soundly right on our chests? Already, I can barely remember what that little roly poly body felt like against mine.

Absolutely, the last 20 months have not flown by, but they're done, they're over and I can feel it. Just look at Scarlett and see what 20 months of time passing by really looks like.



5 comments:

Wes Harris said...

So true! Almost brings a tear to my eye. (I said almost Jen.)

What a little Booey Woo.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I understand. I can remember when you, Jennifer, were born; when you started to walk and talk; when you went to school; when you would go on adventures to Aunt Pooh's house; when you graduated from high school; when you got married; when you had Scarlett - it was all just yesterday, right? Pooh

MikeS said...

You do sort of get to relive those moments with each additional child that comes into your life. But it is just a little bit different every time. I already miss the Talon that never talked back, but they gotta show some independence eventually. I'm happy with the here and now.

Just wait until Scarlett tells you she hates you for the first time. It will happen (sometime when she is 3 or 4) and your heart will break, even though you're going to prepare yourself for it and promise yourself you know she doesn't mean it. Aren't you glad you have me to warn you about these things?

Anonymous said...

She really has changed so much. I can totally relate to what Mike said. It is stab to the heart when you first hear "I hate you". Hopefully it won't happen but once. I can't wait for the next one to come. More to love
Nana

Unknown said...

That's how I feel about Edie's first two months. I'm all like, "Remember when you couldn't talk?" And now I'm like, "Why can't you freaking talk yet?!"

Ah, the passage of time. Cute kid by the way.