Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm Alive!!!

To all my dearest friends and family...You are lucky I am alive! I recently had a near death experience. About one year ago, when I moved to Utah, I signed up for dental insurance. Due to the Law of Procrastination, Wes and I were just barely getting around to doing are semi-annual cleaning and check-up. When I signed up for dental insurance, my insurance just gave me a list of dentists I could use. So I just randomly chose one near my home. (A little too near as it turned out.) When I called my dentist to make an appointment...he answered. The dentist answered! I don't know if all of you frequent the dentist's office, but that is not normal. That was my first sign. I greeted him and made my appointment, which was the NEXT day. That was my second sign. He asked me if I knew where his office was. So, I said no and asked him to just give me the address. (Thank goodness for GPSs) He then proceeded to tell me it was in the basement of his home. At this point, I got nervous. I hung up and told Wes about my conversation. We thought maybe he had a nice big basement with a huge swanky dentist office in it. We could hope, right. I told a few coworkers where I'd be just in case I didn't emerge. So, the time came and we pulled up to the office. When we walked into the office/basement, I saw that it was in fact NOT a huge, swanky basement office. There were wood paneled walls and a huge cougar skin pinned up next to a million dentist cartoons. Then, I saw the 100 year old man sitting behind the desk. As he led me into his torture chamber with his shaky hands and questionable instruments I only hoped Wes would not pop on his I-Pod, so he could still hear my screams if things got out of hand. As it turned out, he was a kindly 100 year old man (as most 100 year old men are) and although he stabbed Wes' lip, lost my insurance card, and told me stories about how he once got a false positive for an AIDS screening blood test when he was donating blood, we emerged alive. However, we will be seeking a new dental provider in 6 months.

8 comments:

Alanna said...

THat is the craziest story I have read! I hope you find a better dentist next time.

Anonymous said...

Meanwhile, don't trust little old men. Find out if you need a new insurance card number. I enjoyed listening to Wes tell me the story.
Supermom

Super Angie said...

Steve's comment: toughen up!

My comment: Get the heck out of there!!! That is so outrageously scary. I'm glad you guys are alive.

Shelby and Ted said...

I loved that story. I think you should make that into a children's book or something. You have talent Jen. I was on the edge of my seat. I am glad that you are alive!

Anonymous said...

Lets hear it for all the little old men in the world. Without them who would teach the young whipper snappers in dental school how to be dentists. Anyone who is approaching 100 years old and is still a productive member of society definitely has something going for them, even if they do occassionally stab you in the gum. "Little Old Man in Waiting"

Rob and Mercedi said...

You don't know me, but I came across your blog and this dental story. My husband is in dental school and we think this story is hillarious! I'm glad you survived!

Heather Ralphs said...

Oh my GOSH! Thats like the WORST (yet best) story I've ever heard as far as dentists go...in his basement?? Seriously?? (~Heather Tracy)

The Lovells said...

Thanks for the link to the story Wes- just think, if you hadn't braved Dr. Frankenstien's office, what story would you have to tell?