Thursday, April 30, 2009

O Broadband, Broadband! Wherefore Art Thou Broadband?

I didn't have internet yesterday. It was horrible. It was like I lost an appendage or something. In one day these were my problems, I couldn't:
  • See my wife's IM on Skype
  • Listen to Pandora Radio
  • Check my e-mail
  • Set-up an appointment with my thesis advisor
  • Distract myself with the online Halo community via Xbox Live
  • Watch a movie on Netflix
  • Check to see if X-men was coming to the I-Max this weekend
  • Set-up my cable installation appointment in Houston (online only discounts)
  • Look up some equations I needed for my thesis
  • Find a good creative writing book using Amazon's rating system
  • Download a writing program I needed
  • Check out blogs

Like I said it was awful. I was reduced to being productive, working on my thesis all day (minus the equations I needed), with the bright spot to my workday being a Wendy's run and an episode of the animated Batman(on a disc) for lunch.

Today

I am happily connected to the internet and used it to:

  • Chat with Rodolfo from India to schedule my internet/cable installation in Houston taking advantage of online only coupons
  • Check my e-mail (Hey Babe, thanks for that Crate & Barrel spam)
  • Cancel my unsolicited subscription from Crate & Barrel
  • Use my online only bank to cut a check to Comcast
  • Send an e-mail to my future apt. manager to make sure I'm sending everybody to the right address
  • Not do thesis (don't worry I will)
  • I just got a response, I did send the right address
  • And OF COURSE, chat with my sweetheart on Skype
  • and the day is still young...

I know you would all be devastated without the internet because you wouldn't be able to read this non-whiney, non-materialistic post.

8 comments:

Jennifer Harris said...

You are so funny and cute. I laughed out loud (more than once) at your post. Sorry about the Crate & Barrel spam. At least we got a saaweet deal on the fondue pot!

Kurt Spears said...

You forgot one thing Wes: Conquer Aliens in some sweet Halo 3 Multiplayer action!

Nancy said...

Love it! And I didn't know what the internet was until college. Crazy!

Anonymous said...

I don't know. There are days I wish I didn't have internet, computers, cell phones or any other electronic devices. You know, like the "good ole days" when the only way to talk was to pick up the Landline and call someone.
Mom Cheryl

Myrna said...

Now you know how I felt in Hat Creek every summer. The first few summers, I carried water from the spring. We never had an indoor potty for about 7 to 10 years. We never had electricity and thought propane lights were glorious. At that I had little kerosone lanterns in my cabin and I took a small reel to reel panasonic tape recorder to play music at night. I heated water on the wood stove and used 2 large pans to wash and rinse dishes in on the cupboard. There was no sink in my cabin. It was a couple of years before we got running water and a sink,in the main cabin, and at that we never did in my cabin. I was very careful not to fall asleep because my batteries needed to last. When we got an old piano up there it was heavenly. Oh those were the days and I still wish we all could enjoy them again. I miss Hat Creek and the wonderful family times we had there with Uncle Ed and Rex.

museu said...

Wes,

You have two Jennifer Harris' on your team. That must really be nice when cleaning house. Jennifer, that is a nice chicken.

Nancy said...

Hello, hello, are you down there? Does Texas have internet? I want to see what's up.

Kurt and Courtney said...

Update! Update! Update! Cool background by the way! Can't wait to see you guys again...:( We're lost without you...:)