Saturday, November 13, 2010

Vomiting, Screaming, and Cries...Oh My!

Well, Scarlett and I made our first and possibly last solo trip. We went to see my mom, my sister, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I will not go into all of the gory details, but lets just say that copious amounts of vomiting, pooping, crying, and screaming were involved. I had brought enough clothes for the whole week plus an extra outfit and I had to do laundry 3 times while I was there. Everyone in my family got some sort of stomach virus. Scarlett decided that I was the only person allowed to look at or talk to her, otherwise she'd scream and cry as if she were dying. In all of the ensuing chaos, I was able to have a few bonding moments with different members of my family. The calmest part of my trip was when my sister, Scarlett, and I met up with my mom in Helen, GA. This was after stomach viruses had mostly run their course and Scarlett had decided my family wasn't as noxious as she originally thought. We decided to go to Helen because Babyland General is there and I wanted to see their new facilities and take Scarlett to a place I loved very much as a child. It's located in the North Georgia mountains, so we decided to stay in a cabin and make a little mini-vacation out of it. So, here are some of the happenings in Helen, GA.


The awesome view of the changing leaves from our cabin. It's really the end of the leaf changing season, so a lot of the trees were bare. It was still beautiful, though. There's really nothing quite like the Appalachians in the Fall. The pictures didn't do them justice.




Helen, GA is a re-creation of an alpine village complete with cobblestone alleys and old-world towers. Here is a shot from my mom's camera, yes the sky was really that blue. It was a perfect day complete with crisp cool mountain air.




One of those cobblestone alleys I told y'all about.




This is Babyland General Hospitals' Fancy New Building!




Scarlett in her BIG cabbage patch!




This is where the magic fairy Bunnybees sprinkle cabbages with magic crystals causing babies to grow out of them. Babyland General is a safe place for them to be until the are adopted by someone who will take them home to care for them and love them. You too could come and see one being birthed every half hour!




Scarlett loved the Cabbage Patch Kids.




Can you tell which one's not a Cabbage Patch Kid?




Well, of course Nana adopted a baby for Scarlett. Everyone, meet Ivy, complete with adoption papers!




Funny, Scarlett seemed more interested in Ivy's bottle than Ivy herself. At least for the time being!




This is Goats on the Roof and there were...well, goats on the roof. It was a funny little place. You could mine for gems as well. We didn't, but when Scarlett's older I'll let her mine for gems one day. When I was a little girl, I always wanted to, but my parents said it was a waste of money because they weren't real. Thanks Mom and Dad, I've been left emotionally scarred over that one!




And that was our trip home. Fortunately for all of you, I kept the camera tucked away during the low parts of the trip and saved all of you countless pics of me drenched with Scarlett's vomit!

6 comments:

Wes Harris said...

Thanks for saving us the vomit pics. I love your fun writing style. You made me feel like I was almost there breathing in the cool air of the Blue Ridge Mountains . . . almost.

It's nice to know how that whole baby birthing process works. Apparently, you did it the hard way with Scarlett. We'll have to look into the whole cabbage leaf system next time.

Nancy said...

Oh, I can't believe how big she is. I was telling Wes on the phone yesterday how much she looked like him, but now that I see these new pictures, I have to say I am seeing a lot more Jennifer than ever before! Oh--I wish I could see her personally! You were brave to make that trip Jennifer! So sorry about the vomit!

Anonymous said...

No matter how sick everyone got, we still had a great time. Helen was so much fun and Scarlett is such a delight. At least in hindsight, we realize where we went wrong. Can't wait for Christmas eventhough you have your doubts. Scarlett and I will have a good time. Just wait and see. I'm already decorating for her.
Love you guys and miss you.
Nana

Myrna said...

Scarlett is growing so much. Just want you to know we have nice crisp cool air up Montpelier way also.

What a treasure trip for everyone involved. Some treasure was not so nice, but most of the trip was. I didn't know Babyland existed nor that Cabbage Patch dolls came from there.

Are you sure that the gems aren't real you were talking about? Real agate stones, jade, jasper, azurite and so forth are gems. They don't have to be the birthstone type of gems.

Thanks, enjoyed the blog.

Kurt Spears said...

Well, I've got something to look forward to! Lol...

Sweet Utah said...

Family trips often end up being times I'm reminded it's good to be an aunt because I get to sleep through the screaming, crying, vomiting... but someday I'm sure it will be my turn.

And... Scarlett's baby got a way better name than my cabbage patch baby! I mean really, Blanche??